Sunday, December 16, 2012

Heartbroken

I learned of the school shootings during my lunch Friday. By the afternoon, I found out it involved "the babies". So many thoughts began and tears flowed that evening. You practice the lockdown drill a few times a year; everything goes as planned. Lights are off, kids are huddled in the corner playing "hide -n-seek", door is locked, cards are placed in the window, and you wait while they check the doors. The door handle jiggle makes my heart jump. You are brave because small faces are looking up to you for comforting. You hear the all clear and it's back to normal.
Tears flowed with sadness for those families and tears flowed out of fear. My job is to protect those children. What if I don't get the call in time, what if I don't get the door locked quickly enough, or what if I think the door is locked but it's really unlocked. You believe it won't ever happen but truth is I have to be prepared. However, I can't live in fear. So, the children are running on high levels of adrenaline and this will require extra coffee to survive. There are 5 more wake-ups until break and I'm going to enjoy every minute I get to spend with my classroom full of wonderful children. I am thankful and blessed.

No comments: