Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday Run

**As a side note before I forget, I have some great video of Caroline and Sawyer. However, I finally gave up after an hour of saying it was uploading?! I'll try again later...**

Alarm rings at 5:15. I hear the Rocky theme song coming from Travis' mouth! I finally drag myself out of bed by 5:25 to take a quick, wake me up shower, grab a Luna bar and head out the door around 6. I listened to a quick clinic about stretching and our coach takes over. He begins with, "So, the Fall team will be running 15 miles today and the Winter team (that's me) will run 7." Did he say 7?!!! I just started running 2 weeks ago when 3 miles kicked my butt. Did he REALLY say 7? Without thinking anymore, I blurted out in a desperate voice..."Is that for the half-marathon too? I thought it was only 5?!" Someone else spoke up at this point too and I was saved from the dreadful 7 mile run! But wait, do I really have to run 5?!

The first mile we all ran in silence in memory and honor of all those people we are running for. I will have to say that first mile up the long slow incline was a bit easier than 2 weeks ago. I was breathing heavy, but not panting like a dog like I was 2 weeks ago! After the run around the rose garden (also a slow incline/hill), we turned right. This is where the new part kicks in for me. (I was running 4 miles in Ohio with my brother during last week's team practice. Thanks again Phillip!)

I'm just going to say this...picture beginning your 3 1/2- 4th mile of a run and seeing a steep hill. We made it up, but did take a quick break to walk because we HAD to catch our breath some. We continue on the path and are slowly approaching the turn around when we cress the top of a HUGE hill. When we get to the bottom is where we turn around and begin our trek back to the cars. It's at this point I realize the magnitude of this hill. I'm talking those other hard hills where ant hills compared to this. I felt like I had been transported to San Francisco to run! We amazingly made it up all the remaining hills and glided down the last part to our awaiting cars.
It felt good to have jogged (with a little walk) 5 miles, even if it did take us almost an hour!
(I'll work on time later, I'm just worried about finishing the distance!)
It's now 4:27 and I haven't crashed for a nap yet. I'm thinking it's going to be an early night! :)

1 comment:

Crystal Johnson said...

You go girl!

Guess you won't need our little walks anymore :(