Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Track Practice

So, picture a hot track on one of the hottest days of the summer so far. It's 6:00 in the evening and things should be cooling off. However, it's the dog days of summer and you have joined your team for your first track practice..what was I thinking?!

We began with a 4 lap jog around the track. On one of the straightaways on each lap we do a drill. The first lap we high knee it, the second was butt kicks, the third was skip, and the last was touching our elbow to the opposite knee. This was enough for me...but wait, there's more!

They start telling the team to take off on 1200 of 800 to 400???!!!! (Not really what they said, but I do remember those numbers) I was thinking..what?! Then it was explained. You run as hard as you can for 3 laps, and cool yourself down for 1 lap. You repeat this 3 times. So, that's 3 miles total. Remember, it's hot!

So, a coach pulls another girl and myself over since we are beginner runners. She says she wants us to come back and enjoy it as much as we can while we're here. So, we do hard run one lap, walk half lap, repeat 4 times. So, basically we only ran 1 mile and walked half a mile. Good enough for me right now!!! I was glad to get through this little bit. Not bad for a girl who probably hasn't run 3 miles total since high school soccer!

I can't wait to go back in a month and see how much more I can do!!!

2 comments:

Crystal Johnson said...

OK, I was wore out just reading this post.

Steph said...

Bethany! What a blast from the past! It is GREAT to hear from you. So I see pictures of you on your 30th birthday (Yay!) at your school...what grade do you teach? And I see pictures of you in a graduation cap. Is that your Master's? Where are you living? Are your parents still in Rural Hall? Mine are. My email is scdecker24@hotmail.com. :-)