Sunday, November 16, 2008

12 miles...

almost! Practice was supposed to start at 7:30 Saturday morning. I knew there was a chance it would be raining. So, I got up and didn't even look at outside until I was ready to get in the car. And, oh boy was it raining! It would come in waves of heavy rain followed by light rain followed by sprinkles..repeating itself in no particular order! I just went straight to the car and drove to meet the team. I knew that if I didn't go, I would have a hard time running 12 miles by myself.
There was actually about 12 of us crazy enough to show up! It was finally decided after the hard rain was not letting up that we would meet back at 12:00 to go running. So, at 11:00, I headed back to Asheville to meet the team. Crazy huh?! Who drives 35 minutes twice in 1 day to go running?!!!
So, we started off and I ended up running with different girls (because not everyone could come back) who run much faster than me. It actually wasn't that bad! However, around mile 9 I started getting sharp pains in my left knee every time my foot hit the pavement. I kept on going, not sure if it's one of those stop before you hurt worse or push on through it. It continued to the point that at mile 10 I had to stop and try to stretch it and walk some. When we got to the meeting place where the 20 milers were going to turn around, one of the coaches said I was done for the day and to go home. No more running. Never thought I would say this, but I was a little disappointed that I couldn't finish the 12 miles planned! Wait what? Who was that talking just now?!!!
Either way, I finished a long run and it was my last big run before the race. From now, we start to taper off. So, next week we only run 8 miles, then 5 miles the following week. It's the countdown now!!!!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

That's awesome girl! 10 miles is an accomplishment for someone who has never run that far! I can't wait to hear how the race goes.