Sunday, November 22, 2009

Good Ol' Days

It's a rainy, cold day here and after church and running some errands I decided to sit on the couch and watch a movie. I opened the cabinet looking for Christmas Vacation and stumbled upon the DVD of my MeMe and Pa. For some reason, I have never watched it. When I got it, I wasn't ready to see them again thinking it would be too hard to watch. Listening to them sing on the CD David did for us one year got me emotional enough. So, I tucked the DVD away and knew that one day I would come back to it when the time was right. Well, I guess that someone thought today was the right day for me.
David videotaped MeMe and Pa walking around the house telling stories, explaining changes they had done, and what the rooms had been used for throughout the years. Towards the end, David videotaped a dinner that some "Rural Hall family" had before MeMe and Pa moved down to Salemtowne. Listening to those stories had me laughing through my tears. I certainly remembered being in that house each day with them. I was lucky enough to live a block away and got off the bus at their house in elementary school. I'd have to say I probably spent at least some part, if only for 5 minutes, of the day at their house on a daily basis. I remember I loved taking showers in "MeMe's shower" because she had the good smelling Finesse shampoo. After cleaning up, Pa would share his Rocky Road ice cream with us. If memory serves me correctly, this was a typical Saturday evening for me. I'm pretty sure I would even spend the night over there sometimes too. As the video drew to a close, MeMe was putting together flower arrangements for the graves at her home church. It was when she said, "Bethany is coming to pick me up" that I lost it. That was our thing. Every year, I would go with her to place the flowers on the grave the Saturday before Easter. When I was able to drive, I came to "pick her up" in her own Cadillac. Seeing her emotional over getting the flowers just right and hearing her say my name just made my heart ache. This was when I put Pattie in my lap and let her wipe the tears from my cheeks.
So, this Thanksgiving I am thankful for the memories of my dear MeMe and Pa; and for having known the love of a small town family.

2 comments:

Phillip said...

Thanks sharing those memories. I can see many of the same things you're recounting. That house has so many great stories attached to it. I didn't know that DVD existed; I'd like to get a copy.

Lina said...

Thanks Bethany, lovely post. Now I'm crying too! Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving :)