Sunday, December 06, 2009

Tis The Season



The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I arrived back in the mountains determined to decorate for Christmas. I know it might seem early to some, but since there is some traveling during the holidays I don't want to miss out on the season. This was the first time I have ever bought a tree and brought it into the house by myself. I was determined to complete this tradition by myself and I have to say that it all feels different this year. This is the first year that my house has that warm and inviting feel to it. I have decorated my house with roommates all seven years I have lived up here, but for the first time I really feel like it's home. It all looks so good, if I do say so myself.
Pattie was not so sure what to think about the tree when she first saw it. She did some barking telling it who was boss in this house. (I'm sure she said that was me!) She has taken some more sniff tests, but luckily hasn't messed with it too much...yet! Decorating the tree is always an enjoyable experience for me. I love getting out the old ornaments like the ones I used to help hang on my grandparents tree and adding the new ornaments that somehow represent a place I have gone that year or an event I have done. The past few years at Christmas, my mom has given me one ornament that represents something memorable from that past year. I had forgotten all about the Kiawah Island Half-Marathon ornament she made for me last year. And might I add that thank goodness I am not running that race today, because there's no way I could make it 13.1 miles!
We had a beautiful snow fall here Saturday morning, but nothing really stuck to the ground. I ran out in the morning to try and gather a few more presents for the angel tree names I took. Of course while I was out, I found some other items that would just be perfect for some gifts. So, those were purchased as well. I met some friends at a local sports bar to watch the Carolina basketball game. Even though they lost by 2, it was an intense game to watch; well at least the 2nd half was! That evening, I went with a friend and met a new friend up to Dillsboro. They open their shops up the 1st two weekends in the month and set out luminaries. It really felt like Christmas when you put the hot cider, decorations, and cold weather together. We each purchased a few little items, filled up with some cider and sweets, then called it a night after about two hours. We stopped at a favorite restaurant for a late dinner before heading home.
Pair all this with a special viewing of Christmas Vacation and you have a nice little beginning to a Holiday season!

No comments: