Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Beginning of the Year

I am digging deep for patience these first few weeks of school. Whew! I seem to block this time of year out of my memory...wonder why?! I am starting my 10th year of teaching with 22 children. There are 15 boys (yes, 15 boys!) and 7 girls that create my new group of eager learners. Everyone has now turned five. I taught half the class one day, the other half the next, then taught one full day before the first weekend. Last week was my first full week and I am half way through a four day week. Here are some positives:
1. I no longer desire to fall asleep at 7:30 on the couch.
2. I am gaining my appetite back as I would rather eat dinner BEFORE falling asleep on the couch. (See number 1)
3. I am leaving most afternoons by 4:30
4. I can get all 22 children to sign in for lunch, hand us their folder, hang up their own bookbag, and find their nametag within 14 minutes..and 2 children can put their nametags on themselves!
5. I am actually enjoying a full 12 minutes of lunch time; it used to be 10.
6. I already have one kid who can tie shoes...they are a HUGE help!
7. I awake each morning at 5:45 with little complaint...so far at least!
8. I have only seen 5 kids eat their boogers, one kid lick their glue stick, and one kid eat paper...so far.
9. I only have 2 children that still cry each morning and only one kid who cries when we leave them for specials.
10. I have 22 children who will brighten my day and my year in more ways than I know.

Some one sent me this article:
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/backtoschool/13-things-your-childs-teacher-wont-tell-you-2332811/

1 comment:

Lina said...

Oh man, I can't even imagine. Sending Zoe off every day and realizing that her teacher has to deal with 17 of her asking questions and needing help, I just don't know how you do it! But sure glad that you do :) Hang in there!