Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hot Chocolate 10K

Saturday, I participated in the Issac Dickson Hot Chocolate 10K. Waking up Saturday morning as if it was a regular work day was not my favorite. However, I had to get awake and ready to meet the girls (Maggie and Ann) at 7:00. We headed to the race site thinking the parking would be crazy only to find out we pulled right into a spot at 7:30. Since the race didn't start until 9:00, what were we to do now?! We walked down to the school and picked up our packets before walking back to the car to get warm again. It was hovering around 31 and cloudy which made for some cold bones! We hung out in the car checking out our "prizes" ( a t-shirt and a pair of socks), putting on our numbers, eating some energy chews, and chatting before deciding it was time to head down to the start line. We met up with some other friends and stood close to each other to stay warm! Finally, it was time to head to the start line and let this running begin! Maggie and I ran together while Ann, Lauren, and Amanda took off and kicked some running butt! Maggie and I only let ourselves walk through some of the water stations and were able to finish the race; including the final hill with a pretty decent time! You start the race downhill, run about 5 miles on flat ground, and finish up the last 1/3 mile on a slow incline hill. It certainly makes you dig deep! When I turned the corner, I looked first for the finish line, then second towards the ground not wanting to see how hard I felt I was pushing but how slow I was getting there. When I finally started reaching people is when I allowed myself to look up and face that finish line head on! I was able to cut 3 minutes and 16 seconds off my time from this same race last year! Now, my goal is working towards the Cooper River Bridge Run at the end of March. I'd like to keep cutting off time and run that race in an hour! We'll see what happens!

2 comments:

Phillip said...

Great job. I am proud of you!
Jammie

Kyle said...

Keep up the good work. Cooper River doesn't make the bridge that can kick your butt!