Friday, October 23, 2009

Free Game


Last Thursday, a parent said he had 4 free tickets to the Carolina game. I have had the pleasure of teaching all three of their kids now that their youngest is in my room. So, throughout the years they have learned that I am a big Carolina fan. When he first asked, I said to let me think about it because I would have to take off work. However, I made it down the hallway before turning around and telling him how stupid would I be to pass up free tickets!!! So, he made a few calls and the tickets were in my hand Tuesday morning!
I took a half day Thursday afternoon, swung back by the house to get Pattie then headed to my parents house. There was a wreck on the interstate, so we ended up sitting in traffic for an hour. I don't think I've ever turned off my car and gotten out before. I walked Pattie around letting her explore and potty before we were able to take off again. We finally made it to Rural Hall, unloaded Pattie, mom played with her in the backyard, put her in the crate, then we took off for Chapel Hill!!!
These tickets came with a parking pass which turned out to be a pretty good location for getting in and out of the game. After arriving and finding a spot, we met up with some people that dad works with who have been tailgating at Carolina games for many years now. They had the setup complete with food and beer. They had Carolina tent, chairs, rugs, napkins, salt/pepper shakers, hand sanitizer, etc.., etc. This was perfect because I hadn't eaten since 10:50 that morning! We did a little walking to the game and practically jogged to the car on the way back. Unfortunately, the game took a turn for the worse, so we ended up leaving with about 4 minutes to go. Since it was fast approaching 11:30 and we had about an hour and a half drive back we wanted to beat the traffic if possible. Which we were able to do!
The seats were pretty awesome and it didn't really hit me until this morning why I looked like a true tourist or paparazzi if you will. As soon as we found our seats, I broke out my camera and my phone to take pictures and send them out! I kept wondering why no one else was being this crazy until I realized we were sitting in the season ticket holders area. People that have had the pleasure of attending many a Carolina games for many a year. The excitement of picture taking just wasn't there for them! That's okay, I made up for them! Even though the outcome wasn't how I had hoped, what a great experience. Getting the tickets for free just made it that much better. Just another perk of being a teacher I suppose.

No comments: